Thursday, 6 February 2014

8 ways to a better self this CNY #HuatAh!

Firstly, I shouldn't be doing a blog post right now


coz I have approximately two more classes 'til final submission for my assignments.
But I feel awfully incomplete because I've been on hiatus for way too long.
So I figured why not just do a quick one right?

Why not.... (I know well enough why not. pfft) 

Anyways, it's officially a new year again, for the Chinese blood in me.
Its the year of the Horse. & according to a post by my friend, its a super lucky year for Goats...such as myself.
Not sure how true it is.

My idea is, since its a new year, 
Lemme share a few (silly) tips on how my cheapskate ways may be helpful in making your new year a more "HUAT" year, maybe not $$$wise but morally, spiritually wise? 

People are becoming higher maintenance by the second,
I swear I don't remember meeting this much #RICH people in my life when I was younger.
I can't confirm if its because I probably live under a rock,
or that the society is just seriously obsessed with being super wasteful, overindulgent and ignorant? high maintenance?



In 2014's Malaysia, all we had was news of price hikes, currency value depreciations,
& the ever concern of the never increasing salaries.
How to survive??? Be cheapskate la.


Here's 8 random cheapskate facts about me. 
ya, cos Chinese girl in me says that if wanna "huat" we must do everything also in 8. 


(8 rhymes with "huat" in mandarin, which also means to "prosper" ) 

#1,
I always always reuse nice drink bottles,
I keep them in my bag and bring it home to reuse.

Why? because seriously,
Why buy bottles when we come across so many of them 
buying drinks at 711 and such? 

Caution: 
Its not good to reuse the cheap thin ones!
(from the soya bean stall and stuff)
& never put boiling hot water into plastic bottles.

Yeah as u can see I also got myself a Starbucks tumbler cos its pretty, limited edition and I can reuse like 1000 times for any hot tea. PLUS get a RM2 rebate everytime I buy coffee. #gooddeal 

#2,
I use products sparingly.
(this includes Shampoos, Face wash, moisturisers, toners etc) 

Which is why 
I am such a big fan of this magical KONJAC SPONGE,
which can be found in Sasa,
just a 10 cents size of face wash is enough to bubble up and clean perfectly.
&! it exfoliates gently as well.
Double benefit YEH!


In the pic above I'm using Hada Labo's foaming face wash. 
So its like foam + double foam after I squeeze it a lil. 
Yes, its super clean despite the tiny amount of soap. 

& another handy tip,
the next time your hair is so dirty 
that your shampoo just doesn't foam up,
rinse it off,
and wash again with lesser shampoo, just to clean it better.
It works more than washing once with loads and loads of shampoo. 
*trust me

#3 
I DIY.

All it takes is general knowledge & creativity.
+ patience and awesome search skills using Google.com

Yes, cut out denim shirts are crazy over priced since it was in trend.
A simple, decent (not very denim) shirt costs at least RM90+ ?! what?

and also had a project with my friend where we made Dip dyed shorts 
(when it was in trend before)
that were selling at about RM150++ in Topshop.

& now I can wear these to parties & raves without worrying I'd damage them.

PS: who needs brands when we have brains?

#4
I hardly call.


Like seriously, look at my phone records. 
Its thursday & my last call was Tuesday. LOL

No reason to call so often when text & voice messaging apps are so advanced,
Plus we get to spam with no additional costs. 

#5
I hate wasting tissue paper.



Whenever I visit the ladies room, I always see these people pulling tissue paper like they need a 1 inch stack to just wipe their butts? 
What??!


Do we really need that much tissue paper? 

& I can't stand it when people don't open up tissue papers and use them thoroughly,
I mean, are u really gonna wipe your mouth with just the outer surface and then throw the whole entire tissue paper away?!?

Here, let me show you how to use a standard piece of napkin PROPERLY. 



5 times, you can wipe your freaking mouth 5 times with this small lil piece of tissue paper. 
& dare you ask me not to slap a person when they misuse & waste tissues. Grr. 



#6
I maximise the value and practicality while shopping
I spend so much time at discount sales its not even funny.
Average time I spend in a shop is about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Also I tend to buy clothes that can be mixed and matched around,
so I literally get 5 outfits with one piece of clothing that kind of thing


Like seriously, this skirt only cost me Rm10.
& I can travel the world with it. (almost)Literally. 

#7
I do not believe in detours.

I take so much time planning my route to make sure its the most practical way.
I also don't make my friends detour for me.



& I don't get upset if its really inconvenient for someone to fetch me,
I would meet them halfway, or go to their house, then drive from their place. & this principle works vice versa.
You happy, I happy, everyone happy ! 

#8
Last but not least,

I am so so unwasteful when using water its like some severe OCD.
I can not stand it when people leave the tap on when they're not using it. or any water source.
I would personally go there and turn it off.
When I shower I shampoo my hair and wash my body at one go, then wash it all off.
So I save washing twice and wasting double amount of water.
Sometimes I also brush my teeth, and then wash my face, then rinse and wash off at once.
GENIUS right?


Okay okay, 
I'll put it this way,
Lets all just remember to appreciate everything a lil more,
just because we have an abundance of it doesn't mean we can waste, 
because somewhere out there someone would kill to have just one bit of what we have,
and secondly, rich people really DON'T have all the fun.
There are so much things that money can't buy,
and money can only bring us this far. (like... this, but better & more. get it?)

Lets just put hiking as an example (refer to my hiking post
Just because you can get a helicopter and get to the top without breaking a sweat, or your manicure,
doesn't mean you can buy the experience we had climbing up step by step, rock by rock.
infact you can never buy it. ever. 
the bittersweet bruises and cuts, never. 

I remember in kindy, my teacher said one thing that was etched in my head forever.
"Remember to always remember not to waste, because everything is a blessing" 




SO lets all listen to Vickie and be a better, wiser person this Horse year yah?


Gong Xi Fa Cai! 

No comments: